Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Introduction

Well, this is the first post I'm making on this subject, and there will be many more to follow. For now twice a week will be my schedule. I will determine the days of release very soon. I know consistent dependable posts are the life blood of blogging. If you readers cannot depend on me adding new content regularly you will not be back. The object of this blog is to inform, educate, help, entertain, and maybe even amuse you. The target reader is anyone involved or interested in the lawn care business. I 'll be discussing and posting links to articles that interest me and hopefully you.
I have run a small lawn service for about 12 years. The first seven were part time and the last five have been full time. It is what puts food on our family's table :) . I don't run a fleet of trucks with a crew of 40 men. I have a couple of part timers helping me and a box truck carrying 2 Dixie Chopper Zero Turn Mowers. I like my work and feel like I make a good living doing it. I worked in a couple of manufacturing plants before I went full time and they were pretty good jobs, but I don't miss them. I don't miss staring at the same walls and people everyday or punching a time clock. Most of the people I have worked with over the years were good people, which I liked, but listening to the same thoughts and ideas and stories everyday got old for me. I feel more free now because I can listen to the music / podcasts I choose at work. I can make my own schedule. I am off 99% of weekends. I still have a boss....... a lot of them.... they are called my customers :) . If my kids have a ball game, I can leave early to get there, even if i have to start the day earlier. Do I work harder now than at my "jobs"? I sure do , but don't mind it at all, because I am building something for myself & my family. I feel more in control of my income & job security. If I want a raise I just attempt to get more accounts or add more services. I don't have to worry about plant managers screwing things up and costing jobs in the form of layoffs. If screw up & lose an account then I only have myself to blame. There are many things that I don't like about lawn service (dust, heat, machine problems, sharpening blades, fuel prices). But the good (all the things previously mentioned and meeting new people) far outweighs the bad for me.
There is one website that has been very helpful to me since I have went full time and that is http://www.lawnsite.com. It is a community of lawn service providers sharing thoughts ideas, etc on a giant message board. I get no kick back from them by the way. Any links I post that I do receive some compensation, I will be sure to mention. That is all for this post. The next one will be out on Sunday Night. There will be 2 posts a week Sunday nights & Wednesday mornings. Wow I decided on the days in the time it took to type this out. Have a great week. Happy Independence Day!


Late

No comments: